Monday, January 19, 2009

History in the making

I know I need to add more postings since I haven't posted since Thanksgiving. I'll follow back up with all our Christmas stories, etc.

BUT

I need to take the moment to let Isabel know what she won't remember. Today and tomorrow are historical days. Today is the anniversary of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s birthday (and her Pop-pop's birthday as well). Today is also the day before the Inauguration of the first African American President of the United States of America - Barack Obama.

Isabel, I want you to know what an amazing time this is for our country. Your mother and father are excited to see this day. I volunteered for Obama, and I can't wait to enjoy his Inauguration with you tomorrow. If it snows, we can celebrate as a family!

My hope for you is that you recognize what a great day this is for us, but that it won't be a big deal for you. I hope this day is the beginning for what your world will become. I want your generation to embrace this notion of equality and compassion for your fellow man.

Tomorrow's events are a early birthday present for you. You will reap the benefits of a stronger community and public education system. Glad we could make it happen!

No comments: